Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Digital Edge Project: Around the world with Cinderella

The project that I reviewed was called Around the World with Cinderella. It describes the way in which a Third-grade teacher in North Carolina used Cinderella stories from all over the world as the basis of a fairy tale unit that incorporated the use of several different technologies into the classroom. Students read different versions of the Cinderellas story and then used PowerPoint to create presentations to show the rest of the class what they had learned. The unit culminated with the students presenting what they had learned to their parents at the student-led conferences. This project shows the ways that technology can be successfully integrated into the classroom and be used a tool that reinforces and enhances student learning and creates new ways for students to meet their learning targets. This lesson was very clearly and carefully documented and provides inspiration and encouragement for other teachers to embrace the use of technology in their own classrooms.

3 comments:

  1. I looked at that teacher's lesson too. It was well thouight and and executed. I like the idea of presenting what the students learned and created to their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah, I feel that this project is very useful in the classroom setting. Apart from being very interesting, the usage of powerpoints is a brilliant idea. Students sooner or later will need to learn to both use and study off of powerpoints. In high school and college level classes all across the country powerpoint is used as a fundamental learning tool. I think that your urge to incorporate technology into the mainstream classroom is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micah, I too think it is a great idea to get students used to working with and experimenting with techonology at an early age- it is such a key part to our daily living and advancement of our society that it can only be beneficial. Techonolgy is only so interesting to children that I think it really motivates them to want to learn and create different ways to display their knowledge.

    ReplyDelete